Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day of Tears!

We got up and got going as fast as we could this morning. After getting neccessities and lunch food, we went to the toll bridge where we had to wait for it. That was kind of fun for the chilren to see. The toll bridge was only a dollar. A lot faster and cheaper than driving to Keokuk.
In Nauvoo we saw the movie "Joseph Smith-Prophet of the Restoration". That made me cry. We then drove to Carthage. (On the way there I hit a dead animal. Yuck!) We had lunch on the jail grounds and then took the tour. We saw a short movie about Joseph's life and then went into the jailhouse. My stomach was sick. I didn't like thinking that men would come into that place and kill a wonderful man. I found it interesting that somebody lived there. We saw the "dungeon" that was dark with little light or air. That was also where John Taylor waited until the next morning on hay and under the bedding. We also saw the room where the men were murdered. In that room we listened to a recording of what happened there. I cried. All of it just made me cry. I felt like I was on holy ground.
We then went outside and stood where Joseph's body fell. Mattina Ann, Aaron, and I talked about our feelings. Aaron and I shared our testimonies of the experience. Still I was crying. The boys were running and playing. When we got into the car, I thanked Aaron for his testimony. AJ said he wanted to bear his testimony. I stopped the car and listened to him bear witness of Joseph Smith. Even though I thought he wasn't listening, he got something. What a special place and experience for us.
We then drove back to Nauvoo and went souvenir shopping. Mattina Ann sent another card to Amyee and got her a charm for her necklace. Tanner found a sunstone tie clip. He is so excited about it. He was so impressed with the one in front of the visitor center. He noticed that some had different smiles. AJ got a pocket knife with the word Nauvoo on it. Boy are we in trouble now. We couldn't find anything Geremy wanted. He wasn't happy about that. We'll find something before we come home.
We looked for temple pictures that dad might like. I found one I really like. Too bad it's $244+. We tried to find a 5X7 for our wall but didn't settle on one.
We went into a store called "Pair-a-Bowls". We were looking for frozen custard. Oh well. I got mississippi rock candy and dip flavoring. I can't wait to try it. I can't believe I bought something there. Then we went next door and got our frozen custard. It was really good.
I really didn't want to go back to the hotel yet. It was about 5:15. We went to the Lucy Mack Smith home. I found a quote I really like and would like to put in my home. I cried at her home too. She was such a neat lady. She may have been small but she had spunck. We then went to the Brigham Young home. I realized that we've been to the home in SLC and St. George, now to the one in Nauvoo. So many great decisions there.
We then went down the "Trail of Hope!" We read every sign. Aaron read the men and I read the women. Mattina Ann hung out with us and really enjoyed it. We had some really nice talks. Just trying to imagine what went on there is incredible. When we got to the river the children had to touch it. They threw anything they could into it. I read a quote from Sheri Dew there. I think I did pretty good through it, even with the tears. Aaron and I bore our testimonies again to the children. I love the statue of Joseph talking to Brigham about going west.
We then ran back to the car. It was 6:52 and the play in the Cultural Hall started at 7. We walked in a little late. The children still got front row seats. We saw "Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo". It was really good. I really enjoyed it. Again I was crying.
Tanner had been asking to go see the sunstone by the visitor center again. I almost forgot but got him there before we left town. He had to see if the smile on his tie clip was the same as that one. It was. He's so excited by that. He loves that the sunstone is on the temple. I hope this built his testimony somewhat.
We than met Brenda and children for dinner. It was so nice to sit down and actually take time for dinner. We've been going so hard all week, we really hadn't had much time.
We are leaving tomorrow. I'm sad about that. We aren't sure if we are going back to Nauvoo in the morning or not. I don't want to leave. Nauvoo had really touched me. I have a lesson to teach in RS the first Sunday in July. I'm thinking about that a lot today. There were so many lessons today. I may have cried all day long, but they weren't neccessarily sad tears. Just tears filled with the spirit and love for all they did. I'll go get a Kleenx now.

1 comment:

BA said...

It sounds like you had a memorable day. I'm glad you found some souvenirs with meaning.

Geremy's 4th Birthday